When we hear the words “spring cleaning”, we tend to think of housework. But with the warmer, fresh spring weather upon us, now is the perfect time to refresh not only your house but your mind and body as well.
Here are 5 fun tips to help you get CLICK’n this spring season
1. Dust off your bike! Get out there and enjoy the beautiful seasonal colors as you cruise the paths and parks in your local area. You may opt to start your bike ride with a protein-packed, energy-boosting CLICK® to properly fuel your ride.
2. Say “yes” to yardwork!
- Brisk 50-minute ride for 10 miles burns approximately 400 to 500 calories
- Leisurely ride, at about 10 mph, burns approximately 250 to 300 calories
Get your body out of hibernation mode by using yard work as exercise. Mowing the lawns, raking the leaves and trimming shrubs will help get your yard and you in shape just in time for summer. For example, spend 30 minutes digging and weeding and you will burn up to 315 and 115 calories, respectively. That is equal to a 45-minute bike ride and a 15-minute weightlifting session. Furthermore, gardening activities strengthen and tone your shoulders, arms, thighs, calves and butt. Here are some additional calorie burning yard work activities
3. Freshen up your eating habits!
- Heavy yard work (landscaping, moving rocks, hauling dirt): 400-600 calories per hour.
- Raking and bagging leaves: 350-450 calories per hour.
- Gardening: pulling weeds, planting flowers, etc.: 200-400 calories per hour.
- Mowing the lawn: 250-350 calories per hour.
Include cleaning out your pantry on your spring cleaning to-do list.
- Cut soda by swapping it with seltzer water mixed with a splash of 100 percent fruit juice
- Remove the cookies and candies and turn to a cookie-inspired CLICK® Recipe from our CLICK Recipe Blog when crave something sweet. CLICK® will boost your energy, curb your appetite and fill that decadent craving – all-in-one!
- Put the salt shaker in the back of the spice rack. Flavor your food with seasonings such as cayenne, which may help reduce blood pressure, and cinnamon, which may help manage blood sugar levels. Both these two spices are easy add-ons in your morning CLICK®
4. Give in to your spring fever! CLICK-start your spring season by taking time to honor your own needs and desires. Often, this leads to more contentment and you can’t pour from an empty bucket. Start by scheduling a “me day” within the next 30 days. For one whole day, only do what you feel. Chances are you’ll move forward recharged and refreshed ready to make healthier, lifestyle choices.
5. Connect with a friend! Call a friend to enjoy some exercise together. Having an exercise partner will help keep you both motivated. Grab your dogs and head out to enjoy the warmer temperatures! The fresh air and bonding time will be great for your mind, body, and spirit. And your 4-legged friends will love it too! Best of all, you can wrap up your time together with a post-workout CLICK® over ice.